When I have children, what do I want for them? What is the "big picture" my day-to-day interactions with them will form (or, at least, what do I intend for it to look like?)?
In answer to those questions, this is what I came up with:
I want to raise my children in such a way that they become responsible, respectful, productive citizens. I hope that I can teach them and give them the experiences that they need to connect with people and understand them, even if they do not understand the choices others will make. I hope to ground them in the Gospel of Jesus Christ such that as they age, they will choose to live in accordance with Gospel principles, because of their testimonies of them.
Specifically, I want to teach them:
- how to manage money and budget
- how to work, and enjoy it
- how to work with their hands, and enjoy it
- language and speaking skills
- respect and reverence for their bodies
- how to take care of their bodies and minds
- how to cook
- respect for natural resources
- to love the scriptures
- that Jesus Christ is their Savior